A lot of people don’t see the need to extract their wisdom teeth. They feel like they can leave them to go grow just like other teeth. Well, that is possible. However, it requires you have a jaw big enough to accommodate all your teeth. If you don’t, then they have to be removed.
This article will help you understand when it is right to remove your wisdom teeth and why it is important to extract them. Let’s get into it.
If your wisdom teeth don’t have enough space to grow in, they will be impacted. This leads to infections, pain, and lots of other dental problems. You can contact us if you are looking for wisdom tooth extraction in Richmond, TX.
Why are Wisdom Teeth Removed?
You might be wondering, why do I have to visit a dentist to remove my wisdom teeth? Well, the reason is simple. It is better to be safe than sorry. Statistics show that most people develop impacted wisdom teeth. There is a high chance your wisdom teeth will be impacted as well.
Impacted wisdom teeth can cause a lot of problems for you. Some of the complications of impacted wisdom teeth include:
- An impacted wisdom tooth can grow towards your second molar.
- It can grow towards the back of the mouth.
- Some wisdom teeth grow at the right angle and move towards your other natural teeth.
- An impacted tooth can stay trapped inside your jawbone.
If any of that happens, it can lead to dental problems such as:
- Food being trapped behind your wisdom teeth
- Gum disease (periodontal)
- Tooth decay
- Impacted wisdom teeth can affect the surrounding teeth.
- It can complicate your orthodontic treatment if you are undergoing any.
Benefits of Extracting Wisdom Teeth
Some dental experts disagree about the importance of removing wisdom teeth, especially if they are not causing any problem. No one can predict the future, but as they say, prevention is better than care. Would you rather sit and wait for the teeth to cause you pain or remove them early? Extracting wisdom teeth early has the following benefits
- Non-painful wisdom teeth can still carry infections.
- It is always hard to clean your wisdom teeth, especially if there is no enough space for them to erupt.
- Cases of complications of wisdom teeth are high.
- The older you get, the higher the chances of complications with surgeries. So, removing them earlier is much better.
Risks of Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Most procedures are successful, and they involve minimum risks. However, it doesn’t mean that there are no complications. The extraction involves an incision to the gum tissues, so pain is a sure side effect. Complications include:
- Dry socket
- Food being trapped in the socket, which leads to bacteria.
- Damage of surrounding nerves, jawbone, and teeth
Our dentists are always very careful to avoid the painful dry socket. You can visit our offices if you require a wisdom tooth extraction Spring.
What to Expect
Before the surgery begins, ensure to speak to your dentist about any health problems you might have. Also, share information about any drugs you are taking. Once the dentist knows everything, the surgery can begin.
Don’t despair, thinking it is painful because it is not. The dentist will numb you, and you will not feel any pain during the surgery. Our wisdom teeth extraction in Spring is painless. You can count on us.
The dentist will offer you three options for sedation. Local, IV sedation, or general sedation. You can choose whichever that makes you the most comfortable. Due to the surgery, your mouth will most probably soak up with blood.
The anesthesia will be in your blood for the next 24 hours. Ensure to bring someone to drive you home after the surgery. Also, don’t make any critical decisions for the next 24-36 hours. The sedation might affect your rationality.
Take only soft foods for the next few days. Also, take your painkillers as prescribed by the dentist. If they don’t alleviate the pain, talk to your dentist, and he will advise you accordingly. During the healing time, drink plenty of water. Don’t smoke. It slows down your healing.
If you need a wisdom tooth extraction, Richmond, Charm Dental, is the place to be. Our team is fully experienced, and we are always ready for you. Your happiness is our happiness, and your wish is our command. Visit our clinic today!